Thursday, October 1, 2026

Bird Watching

 So this is what I have now resorted myself to... bird watching in my backyard. Yes, I realize I am using the phrase in the opening sentence slightly out of standard grammar, as the correct idiom is to resort to something rather than "resort oneself to." (at least according to the annoying and sarcastic AI Overview. Who asked you?) But I don't blog much anymore, so bear with me.

The wife and I like to hang out in the 3-season room (which we call "the screen room") during the afternoon & evenings watching tv. We have comfy furniture in there, a ceiling fan for warmer days and a space heater when it gets cool. It won't be long before winter arrives and insists we huddle indoors for the next 6 months. 

A few weeks ago, we noticed a hummingbird flutter just outside the patio door, briefly staring at us as if to say, "where's the nectar?" before zooming away in search of better offerings. "let's get a feeder!," I said to the wife. Mrs. DaBlade got on her phone and ordered one from Amazon. In what seemed like only seconds passing, the front door camera alert went off on my phone and indicating it had been delivered. (those deliveries get quicker and quicker). 

We filled it with bird crack and hung on a shepherd's hook by the patio with care, in hopes that the hummingbird soon would be there. It didn't take long. I zoomed my phone camera in for a video. A quick search identified her as a female Ruby throated hummingbird (apparently the husbands are red necks wearing wife beaters). I'm old and semi-retired, so I really got a kick out of this. However, when the bird didn't return the next day, I began long and intensive research (5 minutes on google) and learned these buggers start escaping Michigan during September. Maybe they learned about Gretchen Whitmer from some of the crows?

Well that didn't go well. A new feeder for one sighting - at least until next April. Thankfully the wife also ordered a regular seed feeder for year round birds that was getting noticed. When a wood pecker showed up, I said, "let's get one of them bird feeders with a camera!" I no sooner said this and a package appeared on the porch in violation of the space-time continuum. 

So far, 99.99% of the seed eaters have been between a Black-capped chickadee and a Tufted titmouse. The chickadees remind me of Elvis, what with there black domes and dark sunglasses. The Tufted titmice (Aside from the unfortunate name) remind me of Johnny Bravo, so that is what I call them instead.  We have also had a visit or two from a House Finch and a return of the Downy woodpecker. 

Black-capped chickadee


Tufted titmouse


Downey woodpecker




House Finch


Ruby throated hummingbird (see ya next year!)


Not birds


Katydid


"You know, Blade, just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"

2 comments:

  1. Hummingbirds are on the way to their Winter habitat. I used to keep a few feeders up during the year, but when they come in numbers, they turned my porch into a constant gang fight, and pooped on everything. You couldn't sit with an open cup of coffee, unless you didn't care what ended up in the coffee. That, and I realized I had turned into a hummingbird SNAP office, and was buying a few pounds of sugar every week.

    We have some interesting birds, but the neighbor turned his multitude of ducks loose, and some found out the bird feeder would dispense a lot feed if they jumped up and jostled the feeder. So, the bird feeders were put up, and while I figure out how to get rid of the ducks covertly, we'll have to deal with the little gangsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes I could do without the hummer creamer in my coffee! Right now it is still a novelty and I have no doubt it will run its course. So far I haven 't felt the urge to order the red rider beebee gun from Amazon and I don't think there is a lot of meat on those chickadee bones even with the apocalypse. Honestly I expected a few squirrel and chipmunk attacks but none so far.Right now the critters are awash in natural edibles. That reminds me I need a snack.

    ReplyDelete