Saturday, June 7, 2008

Miracle Babies

I was struck by the dichotomy of two recent stories involving different miracle newborns. The first is The Girl Who Was "Born" Twice, Macie McCartney of Houston. When Macie was a wanted human child inutero, it was discovered that she had a rare tumor that would be fatal if left unchecked.
The tumor was stealing blood from Macie, weakening her heart. So, at 25 weeks, surgeons cut into Keri's abdomen, pulled out the entire uterus -- and then half of Macie. The tumor was the size of a grapefruit... Once free of the tumor, Macee was placed back in the womb, where she recovered and grew for a record 10 more weeks. Aside from this scar on her backside, Macie is a strong newborn with a healthy future.
Happy endings. I love them! Here is another one, though you'll find that this little baby's journey was much more lonely. The title of this story tells all: "Baby Miraculously Survives Abortion, Expected to Live 'Normal' Life"

When baby Finley was just an unwanted non-human tissue mass, Would-be mom Jodie Percival had an abortion because tests showed the baby had cysts on his it's kidneys. Percival states, "Deciding to terminate at eight weeks was just utterly horrible but I couldn't cope with the anguish of losing another baby."

I am still trying to figure that tangled knot of a sentence out. So what she is saying is, "I killed my baby because I couldn't handle my baby dying." The baby had been diagnosed with kidney problems. I'm no doctor, but I do know that we are born with two of these organs, and one of them is a spare. They can be swapped out like car batteries for Pete's sake! It's not like the baby had a failing heart, although the mother apparently gets around just fine without one of those.

Then she found out the abortion was unsuccessful:
"I couldn't believe it,' Percival said. "This was the baby I thought I'd terminated. At first I was angry that this was happening to us, that the procedure had failed. I wrote to the hospital, I couldn't believe that they had let me down like this... doctors told the couple the baby was likely to survive, so they decided he deserved another chance at life. In November, Finley was born three weeks premature. He had minor kidney damage but is expected to lead a normal life.
God bless this child, and may the unrepentent parents burn in hell.

Two miracle babies surviving against the odds. I know which set of parents I'd rather belong to.

No comments:

Post a Comment