Thursday, May 1, 2008

"CAT JUGGLING!"

"Good Lord - I've heard about this - cat juggling! Stop! Stop! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Good. Father, could there be a god that would let this happen?"

The title of this post was a line from Navin Johnson, Steve Martin's character in The Jerk. If you didn't know that already, then we have nothing more to say to each other. Turn off your computer immediately and go rent this movie. Watch it repeatedly until you can rattle off "everything between the Chicklets and the erasers".

My post from yesterday dealt with Constitutional law, so obviously I quoted from commedian Steve Martin. Actually, it reminded me of my idolatry of Martin in the 70's and 80's. I used to go through the TV guide every week to find all of his appearances, from Johnny Carson to SNL to various talk shows. I bought all his albums (still have them) and have seen all of his movies ad-infinitum. I have also read all of his books. His latest, Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life, is a must-read for any like-minded arrowheads.

So far so good. I'd be willing to bet that most of you have, at one time or another, worshipped a particular athlete or celebrity. You hung on their every word or game stat, am I right? Well, were you ever chased out of a crowded theatre carrying the life-sized promotional cardboard cutout of your idol, narrowly escaping the parking lot on two squealing tires? And did this cardboard likeness stand proudly in your bedroom in the basement of your parent's home until you had to begrudgingly let it go when you got married, because that BIOOOOOTCH said, "Your not keeping that ridiculous thing in our apartment!"?... No?

Sorry. I guess there are still some bitterness issues I'm dealing with. I thought those scars had healed.

Anyway, this was not a case of unrequited love. Many of my other close friends may be surprised to learn that Steve Martin and I used to be pen pals. (I don't like to brag or draw attention to myself). OK, so the term "pen pals" may not be 100% accurate, since we didn't write back and forth. Mostly I wrote. However, I think he finally recognized that we were kindred spirits, and he answered with a personal letter. I have kept it safely tucked away and share it now with you. It still moistens the corners of my eyes to think that he had one of his numerous handlers take the time to do this for me *sniff*...

6 comments:

  1. BIOOOOOTCH???

    "Hun" obviously doesn't peruse your musings on a daily basis.... Does she??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


      Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

      Ko .

      Delete
  2. Dear Anonymous,

    If Jerry's wife does happen across this post he can always reply:

    "Well EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE MEAH"

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing. Your Rio rock viewing adventure reminded me of one of my favorite poems...

    Of all the birds
    In the whole wide world
    I'd rather be a duck.
    To sit upon the ROCKS at night,
    and watch the people ffffffish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that nowadays, when somebody approaches Steve Martin for an autograph, he hands them a business card which reads something like "This card certifies that the holder had met Steve Martin and found him genuinely friendly".

    ReplyDelete