Monday, December 5, 2016

Angels Bowling

If you're like me, you check the space weather page every morning before getting dressed. (Then again, if you're really like me then you secretly hope that lederhosen becomes mainstream as business-casual attire - but I've already made my case for this repeatedly).

"So what is the space weather going to be like today?"

If there is a solar eruptive prominence and chance of CMEs with red hot plasma being hurled towards Earth, I like to wear cotton or something that can breathe. And maybe some sunblock. If there is a solar wind stream approaching Earth with wind speeds as high as 700 km/s, I wear a windbreaker.

So imagine my surprise this morning upon visiting the space weather page and spotting an angel bowling on the surface of the sun. Of course, the article only talks about some coronal hole and doesn't even mention the obvious appearance of the angel in full back swing. In fact, what these so-called scientists are calling a coronal hole is nothing more than the angel's shadow.

I don't have to tell you that when angels bowl, it creates thunder on Earth, thereby creating thunder clouds in turn... its all very complicated, but you should probably wear a rain coat today.

2 comments: