Sunday, February 28, 2016

Go see RISEN ("Open your heart and see")

For my Christian friends, do yourself a favor today and go see the movie, RISEN.  For the rest of you, I'll buy your ticket and popcorn if you will see it with me.

Had one of the best Saturdays I've had in a loooong time, yesterday. The wife and I and our 21-year-old son listened to my eBook version of  Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis in the car and on the way to and from the theatre where we watched the new movie, RISEN. (Oh, and had a monster Bacon/Cheeseburger and fries after the movie)

The movie takes up the story immediately following the crucifixion, and covers the period of Jesus' death, resurrection and ascension as seen through the eyes of Roman tribune Clavius. The tribune is tasked by Pilate with finding the body of Jesus, which they believe must have been stolen from the tomb in the night. Here, Clavius questions Mary Magdalene...



I can't do better than this review by Bishop Robert Barron. I actually held my breath in this scene...
My favorite scene shows tribune Clavius (played by the always-convincing Joseph Fiennes) bursting into the Upper Room, intent upon arresting Jesus' most intimate followers. As he takes in the people in the room, he spies Jesus, at whose crucifixion he had presided and whose face in death he had closely examined. But was he seeing straight? Was this even possible? He slinks down to the ground, fascinated, incredulous, wondering, anguished. As I watched the scene unfold, the camera sweeping across the various faces, I was as puzzled as Clavius: was that really Jesus? - See more at: http://www.catholicreview.org/article/connect/columns/risen-and-the-reality-of-the-resurrection#sthash.dlvXlbSg.dpuf


So, like Mary Magdalene's admonition of Clavius, do "you to look for the wrong thing"?

Happy Sunday, y'all.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the movie greatly.
    I was just bothered by the "alternate universe" of the plot.
    Cornelius was the first gentile convert in Scripture and Peter had to be convinced by a vision.
    I loved the joy on the apostles faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review. I wondered what the movie was about (since they never tell one before hand anymore). We can't afford to go to the movies anymore anyway. Not until Dinglebarry is out of office and our annuity starts growing again. We're living very close to the bone these days.
    It's wonderful having such a decent person as yourself helping us learn what movies are good and what isn't. Hope your day is blessed. ~:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed, yah the alt universe thing didn't bother me too much since I was bracing against them using that to rewrite history on the guts of the Gospel, and thankfully they mostly stayed true - aside from the main character :)

    Hi Sparky, living close to the bone can be a beautiful thing. As one of my fav country songs says, I can never seem to get ahead but I have enough. Here's to enough!

    ReplyDelete