Saturday, December 6, 2008

Satriani and Coldplay: chocolate in my peanutbutter

Joe Satriana is suing Coldplay, accusing them of stealing his song. Is Coldplay's Grammy-winning "Viva La Vida" really just a knockoff of Satriana's "If I Could Fly"?

Coldplay Plagiarism (?)


I stumbled upon Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien" CD many years ago and immediately took to it. I purchased "The Extremist" after that, so I guess you could call me a Satriani fan. My oldest son (the college boy) is a Coldplay fan. I just hope that this copyright infringement lawsuit doesn't drive a wedge between my son and I.

So did Coldplay steal from Satriani? I don't know. I'm not musically talented and would have no clue what the odds are for two bands to find these same rythyms independently. What I do know is what I like, and I like Joe Satriani playing guitar WITH Coldplay. Best of both worlds, in my opinion. Like chocolate in my peanutbutter.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete